Losing a loved one is difficult enough without having to deal with probate and other legal matters in the aftermath. Proper planning can alleviate a great deal of the burden associated with probate, but even the best planning does not eliminate the probate process entirely.
That is why you need an experienced probate attorney in Billings, Montana.
Probate attorneys manage the filing of a deceased individual’s last will and testament. If a dispute arises, a probate attorney will oversee the dispute and work to protect the interest of the deceased person.
They are there to help during the planning process and throughout the execution of a will. They will provide assistance with asset protection and the preparation and filing of all documents required by a probate court.
The comprehensive services of a probate attorney can be an essential part of making the loss of a loved one less stressful. Probate attorneys can help you:
- Locate and secure probate and non-probate assets
- Obtain date of death values and appraisals of property
- Prepare and file documents required by the court in a timely manner
- Collect life insurance proceeds
- Manage retirement plans, including IRAs and 401(k)s
- Offer advice concerning payment of the decedent’s final bills and outstanding debts
- Keep track of the estate’s checking account
- Determine if any estate taxes and/or inheritance taxes will be due
- Address income tax issues
- Settle disputes among personal representatives and beneficiaries
- Assist with the sale of estate property
- Request court permission for various actions
- Retitle real estate if it is not being sold
- Distribute what’s left of the decedent’s assets after paying bills and taxes
Probate can be a stressful time, but it does not need to add to the burden of your grief. If you have questions about probate laws in Montana or you need to speak to someone who understands the probate process, contact David Dietrich at (406) 255-7150 or by email at email@example.com.